Friday, October 22, 2004
 

Speaking of Breaking records...
Posted by Daryl :: 8:23 AM

Microsoft announced a couple of days ago that it has already officially pre-sold more than 1.5 MILLION units of Halo 2 in North America, which will generate more sales in a 24-hour launch period than any single Hollywood blockbuster ever.

Think about that. More sales than any movie in history has EVER grossed. EVER. And that's just the AMERICAN sales - factor in the also very large number of Canadian sales, and now you're just getting stupid. Talk about hype

Speaking of hype - when does it become too much? The problem with hype is that people's expectations get jacked up to the point that they become unrealistic. And now, we're dealing with the biggest hype ever for a video game, bar none.

Now, being the Halo whore that I am, I have absolutely no worries that Halo 2 will live up to the hype. But how high is the possibility that many will be overly critical simply becuase the hype for this game is completely unmatched by any other in the history of video games? On the flip side, how many gamers will automatically assume that reviews are BEING overly critical simply because their Halo love is boundless? It'll be interesting to find out. But don't get me wrong - Halo 2 is gonna own you whether you like it our not. :)



Comments:
And now, we're dealing with the biggest hype ever for a video game, bar none. Biggest hype ever? I dunno. I remember this game called Metal Gear Solid 2 that hadn't come out but people were buying a certain system for it about a year in advance. Then the game sucked. I think hype has to have a certain component of disappointment to it (See: Fable, Brute Force, MGS2 and so on).

I bought Halo before I knew anything about it. I'd insulated myself from the hype (although I knew it was supposed to be the best XBox launch title), but I didn't get my XBox until the day after Christmas of that year, so I was already a month behind. When I got into it, I realized the quality of the design, the immersion you felt, and the depth of the AI was enough to make the game solid in and of itself. Halo 2, unless they go all MGS2 on us (With 50 trillion hours of cutscenes and gameplay that feels outdated) can't possibly be a disappointment in that regard, because even the source, Halo 1, doesn't feel old still. But try playing Metal Gear Solid 1 these days. Ancient.

It's rather analogous to Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. The games, while not as far apart as Halo, had solid and ahead-of-their-time gameplay, so when it was improved upon, it stayed ahead of the curve. I'm not worried about Halo 2 becoming a bust at all.

- Dan
 
"Think about that. More sales than any movie in history has EVER grossed. EVER. And that's just the AMERICAN sales - factor in the also very large number of Canadian sales, and now you're just getting stupid. Talk about hype."

Many movies boxoffice over $75 million. Since Halo 2, none special edition, is about $50 US. $50 x 1.5 milion is 'only $75 million.

But I agree...that is impressive.

Remember; beware the hype it can cloud the mind.

H.O.G.
 
Post a Comment


<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares